We Love Because God First Loved Us

When God began guiding me to change my major last semester, I had no idea what all He had in store for me. Now as I sit here with my last few days of Junior year ahead of me, I cannot help but reflect on the last year of my life and how many adjustments have occurred in what has felt like a short period of time. I have learned many valuable lessons along the way, and many of those lessons have continued throughout my time as a college student.

In January I decided to add on a Sociology minor to my Psychology major, and I do not think I have been more interested in a subject since changing my major in the Fall. I have taken courses highlighting basic sociological concepts, and I have been in classes which focus on society's influence in specific fields such as education. Overall, I have increased my knowledge and interest not only regarding children but people in general. I have become fascinated with studying the way humans interact with one another physically, mentally, and emotionally. A major influence behind human interaction revolves around the idea of diversity and how each person has a specific background and story which built them into the person they are today. By no means am I trying to convince anyone to follow my beliefs or opinions, but I do enjoy sharing stories and scripture in the hopes that I might be able to reach someone out there who has been in similar situations I have been in before. 

 "If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:1-3

Love is such a powerful emotion, action and thought. It can be incorporated in just about anything you set out to accomplish, and it can be influenced by just about anyone. God tells us without love much of what we say or do is meaningless. Throughout my childhood, my Mom displayed love in many different ways. I speak about my mother not because my Dad didn't shower those around him with love, but because the best examples I have of love come from her. I shared a Facebook post about her, and I believe it is the best way in describing the way I was raised around acts of love. 


My Mom has impacted so many lives simply by loving those around her, including the little ones who may have only felt loved at school. My parents raised me to love others not for where they came from or what they had, but because God loved them so much that He sacrificed His one and only Son for them. I was raised in a family that did not put limitations on someone because of their physical or mental strength, gender, race or religion. For that I am forever grateful because I would not be the person I am today or in a relationship with an amazing guy without their examples of love.

 
When I talked to my friends about Asti before we started dating, I often received the question "What do your parents think?" I usually looked at them in confusion and responded with "Think about what...?" Obviously they were referring to the fact that he is mixed, and it always sparked curiosity behind why that would be the first question many people asked me even when we began dating exclusively. They never first asked, "Does he treat you well? How did you meet? What qualities in him do you love?" They always followed up with those questions, but they were never the first ones asked. I understand the history of our country and the ways our society has been influenced by specific historical events, but I guess I look past certain physical characteristics of people because of the household I was raised in. My parents think that I am old enough to make my own decisions. They love my boyfriend because he loves me. When I was sick with mono for a month and a half, he took me to the doctor, pharmacy, and to get food whenever I felt like eating (even if that meant Waffle House at 2 am because I felt terrible all day). He encourages my relationship with our loving Father, and I am inspired daily by His walk with Christ. His physical qualities and characteristics do not define him as a person. They may influence his life story, but that only makes it easier to love him. He is my reminder of 1 Corinthians 13:4-7.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

These verses will always hold meaning because I think of the way our Heavenly Father loves. It gives me chills just sitting here thinking about it. I see, hear and feel His love some way day in and day out. He never ceases to express His love for me and what He has called me to do. My God loves me whether I have on a Sunday dress or Nike shorts and a t-shirt. He loves me when I make an A on a test or a C on an assignment, and I love Him. I can only imagine how beautiful He is in person because what He has done in my life so far has painted an extravagant portrait. Here is your daily encouragement to love on someone, whether that is through a hug, kind words, acts of service or a sweet note. We love because God first loved us.

 
" And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

With Love & Laughter,
Alison 

Comments